Education at Holy Trinity
The school ground breaking was July 22, 1951 and within a year the cornerstone was laid on June 5, 1952. At the ceremony Father Gregg said that the school would, "Lead the way for the building of character and strength in the hearts, souls, minds and bodies of the young people." Fittingly, the cornerstone is inscribed "For God and Country."
Formal dedication of the school, with Cardinal Spellman presiding, took place on Sunday, September 14, 1952. A week earlier, on the opening day of school, September 8, 1952, Father Gregg told the children, "Everything today is bright, new, shining - really a day of promise. A harbinger of the blessings that God will send through Holy Trinity School."
Helping to deliver those blessings were six Sisters, servants of Immaculate Heart of Mary under Mother Brigida's supervision. With her were Sister M. Pius, Sister M. Stella, Sister M. Phyllis, Sister M. Albreth, and Sister M. John Berchmans. The six Sisters were assisted by lay teachers Mrs. Anna Gates and Mrs. Palmer.
When it opened, the school had 423 students in kindergarten through six grade. A premonition of the enrollment to follow, there were over 90 kindergarteners attending in the first year.
By September of the next year, the kindergarten had to be closed to allow classroom space for the upper grades. The Parish Hall was converted to two classrooms, and in 1954 one hundred children had to be refused admission due to overcrowding.
The need was clearly there, so March 28, 1955, Father Gregg launched a "second wing appeal." Dedicated on Sunday, May 25, 1958, and making possible a total enrollment of 870 children by 1960, the new wing currently houses the upper grades and gymnasium.
With the new wing came the Marist Brothers who taught our fifth through eighth grade boys from September of 1957 through June of 1963.
Mother Brigida stayed at Holy Trinity for six years, a stern but warm presence. Taking disciplinary and other matters to her office for personal attention, which was always a feared trip, she frequently ended those sessions with an agreement: The student would not repeat the transgression or would wait until after school to eat the candy which she had slipped him as he left her office. Today our school is still staffed by an IHM Sister, Sister Anne Manion who teaches fifth grade.
Through times of burgeoning as well as shrinking enrollment, our school has endured and prospered, for just as enrollment swelled in the 1950's, it shrank in the early 1980's. Our principal, Sister Mary Ellen, saw this shrinkage as an opportunity and presented it as such to Bishop Mestice who agreed to renovate and enlarge the kindergarten, consolidate two classrooms into a meeting room and paint and freshen the entire building.
Sister Mary Ellen was followed in the late 1980's by Sister Jean Louise who - to the relief of the school alumni - took out the black one at the edge of the hallways on which students had dutifully walked for years. Sister Eleanor Marie Malanophy succeeded Sister Jean Louise, bringing her won inclusiveness and sense of warmth, for what other principal would teach the kindergartners to step dance on St. Patrick's Day!
The 1995-1996 school year brought principal Tom Dicks of Staten Island, who implemented several changes. In 1996 Mrs. Mary Ann McGivney became principal and was with Holy Trinity School for 14 years. Her warm and calm personality balanced with her academic and progressive thinking brought technology such as SMARTBoards and a new computer lab to our school. She touched the lives of many students throughout the years.
2010-2012 Mrs. Heidi Reale, who with her loving and thoughtful demeanor brought a sense of nurturing towards our students. With the encouragement and support of Father Robert Repenning, Mrs. Reale coordinated a committee to campaign for Holy Trinity's first playground.
In 2012 Mrs.Ann Dombroski became our current principal. She looks forward to upcoming year.
Much has changed since 1952 when the school opened on a tuition free basis. Tuition is necessary fact of life, and a decrease in vocations has caused a shift in staffing from religious to lay teachers. Still, the school is academically very well regarded and committed to forming each child into a Christ-like, well-educated and responsible citizen.
Our school now has over 230 students from preK thru eighth grade. In 6th grade, the students begin changing classes, rotating among teachers in a departmentalized program which prepares them for high school. Several upgrades have been made to our already beautiful school building in the past couple of years. For example state-of-the -art technology and internet were placed throughout the classrooms, up to code fire alarm system was installed, security measures such as video cameras and magna locks were put in, new effiecent T8 lighting was installed, the kitchen was equipped with more effiecient appliances, new ceiling tiles were hung to improve air qualitiy, and most recently our first playground was installed in a fenced in area to promote exercise and imagination.